This sketch is a skyline changing proposal for the new Museumpark. A massive block covers the big part of the museum park. This block contains the museum, housing, shopping, offices, indoor parks and on top there is a big rooftop park with an overlook over Rotterdam. The museum isn’t a separate experience; it is woven within the other functions of the building. The roof provides a big ‘closed’ space, which can be used for events. For example, open air cinema, street markets or smaller festivals. Id might also could stimulate a more active nightlife.
It is also an experiment of scale and proportions. The big block is something heavy and impressive if you walk along it. In the mirrors show you a lot of the surroundings. On top there is again a big open park space with a wide view. Inside the block there is a mixture of open en closed spaces in diverse proportions.
+ scale and proportion element
+ mix of different functions of the building
+ a radical statement
+ rooftop park
– way to big for the context
– providing a lot of shade and destroying the view from the surrounded buildings, specially the Erasmus MC
– the feeling of a park is gone by adding other functions
– less use of design elements to create a public outdoor space
– 62 High space – a big rooftop park
– 88 Street café – a café is part of the sketch
– 114 Hierarchy of open space – closed and open, lower and higher and spaces of different proportions will be situated in the block
– 126 Something roughly in the middle – the block could describe as something roughly in the middle